How not to landscape….
Like all art, creating a landscape that appeals to everyone is virtually impossible. However, here are a few pointers that will lead you towards a beautiful yard for all to enjoy:
- DO mix textures
- DON’T use all the same shapes of plants
- DON’T use plants that cover too much (remember, they do grow!)
- DON’T create over exaggerated bed lines
- DO use natural contours… not everything needs to be a kidney bean!
- DO use effective groupings of plants
- DON’T choose landscape materials that take away from your home’s architecture.
- DO disguise utility boxes using organic shapes.
- DON’T choose plants that require aggressive pruning for the space.
- DO use trees and large shrubs to create balance.
Sara Selchert Carpenter
Steve’s Ace Home & Garden
VP of Operations
Master Landscape Designer